Hosting a project with the O3DF follows open governance, which means that there is no one company or individual in control of a project. When the maintainers of an open source project decide to host it at O3DF, they specifically transfer ownership of the trademark for their project to the Linux Foundation, the parent organization of O3DF.
Host Your Project
Host your project with O3DF to benefit from the support and services of the Linux Foundation and the open source 3D ecosystem.
What does it mean to host a project?
Why should you host your project with the Open 3D Foundation?
In a world where GitHub use is ubiquitous, it is no longer sufficient for a software foundation to offer just a software repo, mailing list, and website. A set of enhanced services is required as it facilitates increased market education, adoption and deep engagement with the open source community to enable collaboration. The list below represents each of the services that the Open 3D Foundation provides to its hosted projects.
- A neutral home for your project increases the willingness of developers from other enterprise software companies, start-ups and independent developers to collaborate, contribute, and become committers
- Endorsement by members of the O3DF Technical Advisory Council is an independent signal of the quality of your project
- Ability to keep your maintainers and define your own governance, as long as it’s neutral
- Leverage the expertise of our parent organization, The Linux Foundation, which hosts other successful projects and several umbrella foundations
- Access to full-time O3DF staff who are eager to assist your project in myriad ways and help make it successful
- Dedicated support for ongoing requests from members, projects, and community developers
- Events are a part of O3DF’s strategy. We help your project build a community with face-to-face, virtual and hybrid interaction and knowledge sharing
- O3DF hosts O3DCon, the Foundation’s annual event focused on open source 3D technologies, workshop trainings and thought leadership
- O3DF assists with sponsorship leads, media introductions, co-location opportunities and marketing of project events
- O3DF hosts various networking sessions at industry events to promote projects and help connect users and developers
- Oversee editorial calendars and writing, editing, and/or identifying and funding freelancers to develop content ranging from the blog, case studies, presentations, and more
- Develop thought leadership reports, surveys and success stories
- Generate positive media and analyst coverage to create greater awareness of project milestones, community growth, and developer engagement
- Promote project news and milestones through other channels: journalists, analysts, news releases and blogs
- Manage social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn)
- CLA system that integrates with GitHub (EasyCLA)
- DCO system that integrates with GitHub
- Access to O3DF and LF staff should any legal questions arise
- Hosting the trademarks of the projects